Mission and History

Mission Statement: In a spirit of mercy and love and acknowledging and fostering respect for individual differences, Catherine’s House provides transitional housing in a safe and caring environment as well as supportive programs and services for women and children who are homeless.

History:
In 1991, Hester Tribble, a social worker and graduate of the former Sacred Heart College, approached the Sisters of Mercy regarding her dream to serve the homeless.  The Sisters of Mercy agreed to help her by forming an active board and allowing the use of an empty building on the grounds of the former college.  When Ms. Tribble was unable to continue, the Sisters of Mercy adopted the ministry which opened in November of 1992.  They named it Catherine’s House in honor of their foundress, Catherine McAuley of Dublin, Ireland. For the past 22 years, Catherine’s House has provided residential care and services to over 1,900 women and children.

Relationship with the Sisters of Mercy: Catherine’s House is a sponsored ministry of the Sisters of Mercy. This relationship does not place the financial burden of the sponsored ministry solely on the Sisters. Instead, the ministry is responsible for the majority of its own budget while the Sisters of Mercy expect the particular ministry to remain accountable for its actions. Not only is sponsorship a financial commitment, it is a spiritual and emotional commitment as well.

 
Catherine's House Inc. ~ P.O. Box 1633, Belmont, NC 28012 ~ Phone: 704 825 9599 ~ Fax: 704 825 2734 ~ Site By: EyeBenders